Advanced Care Paramedic Program
The Medavie HealthEd Advanced Care Paramedic (ACP) Distance Program is delivered through a combination of interactive web-based instructor-led classes, in-class practical simulation labs, as well as clinical and practicum experiences. This format provides students with the unique opportunity to complete their didactic education via a virtual classroom where they have the ability to interact, not only with their instructor, but with other students as well, all from the comfort of their home. The program meets the competency requirements of the College of Paramedics of Nova Scotia (CPNS), the Paramedic Association of New Brunswick (PANB), and the Saskatchewan College of Paramedics (SCoP); as well as the National Occupational Competency Profile, as established by the Paramedic Association of Canada, for Advanced Care Paramedics.
It is strongly recommended that students complete all self-directed study at home. Therefore, students should anticipate completing three hours of self-directed study for every one hour of didactic time. To assist in the self-directed process, students will have access to a number of enriched online sessions. Practical simulation labs will be conducted at one of our campus/delivery sites.
The total didactic time for this program is 478 hours with practical simulation labs totaling 340 hours. A total of 192 clinical hours will be completed in emergency departments, operating rooms, intensive care/cardiac care units and obstetrical units, while another 504 practicum hours are completed in the ambulance setting. To complete the distance program, not including self-directed study time, a student must have completed 1514 hours of training.
To apply as a general applicant to the Medavie HealthEd ACP program, a candidate must meet the following prerequisites:
- Be physically and mentally able to perform all required duties.
- Be in good health with all appropriate immunizations as verified by a completed immunization record.
- Supply an acceptable Criminal Record Check (CRC) with Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC). This can be obtained from the RCMP, local police detachment or some online agencies such as myBackCheck.com (please ensure you submit for both a CRC AND VSC).
- Be registered/licensed as a Primary Care Paramedic (or equivalent in another jurisdiction).
To complete your application to Medavie HealthEd ACP program you must submit the following (click here for checklist):
- Application form (to be completed and submitted on line)
- Resume (electronic submission only required)
- Two completed Reference forms (click here for Reference Form). If you are applying as a Mature Student three completed Reference Forms are required. (electronic with originals to follow)
- Copy of PCP Diploma (electronic only)
- Copy of current unrestricted/unconditional Paramedic license (electronic only)
- Copy of current Driver’s License (electronic only)
- Application fee – $100.00 by personal cheque or money order / bank draft or by Visa / Mastercard by calling 1-888-798-3888.
- Write and pass PCP level exam.
After completing all of the above requirements, successful applicants will then be offered an interview (in person or via Skype/FaceTime) with designated Admissions Representatives.
Upon conditional acceptance into the ACP program, students must submit the following:
- An official Criminal Record Check (CRC) with Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC). The criminal record check must be no more than six months old from the program start date.
- The Medavie HealthEd Medical and Immunization forms. The medical and immunization forms must be no more than two months old from the program start date. To download the medical form, click here, and to download the immunization form, click here.
Acceptance into the ACP program remains conditional until such time all of the above are received, verified and approved.
Students are also required to purchase an iPad that has not been “jail broken”. Students must ensure that the iPad is supported by Apple for the duration of their program (According to Apple, iPads are supported for five years from their release date).
The student will receive a diploma upon successful completion of all program requirements as outlined in policy.
For information on financial assistance, rebate programs, potential employment opportunities upon graduating, and other relevant information, please visit our helpful links page by clicking here.